A tooth extraction is a procedure which involves removing a tooth from its socket. A tooth may have to be extracted for any number of reasons which can include:
- If a tooth has sustained heavy damage
- If it’s severely fractured
- If it is suffering from deep decay or infection
- If you have tooth loss due to periodontitis
- If we are preparing your mouth for dentures or implants
- If it’s an absence tooth and can’t be saved
All of our tooth extractions are performed by our dentist in Belmar. Dr. Sniscak is fully trained and skilled at performing tooth extraction surgery.
Prior to any tooth removal, we will examine the problematic tooth and carefully weigh all of your options to determine the best course of action. If we can save the tooth without having to perform surgery, that will be the best option. However, if a tooth does have to be extracted, you can rest assured that your complete safety and comfort are our first priority. Anesthesia will be given to numb the area and minimize any discomfort. In the event that more than one tooth has to be taken out, sedation can be provided for you.
Following your surgery, be sure to follow these tips to ensure your mouth heals properly:
- Place an ice pack on the outer cheek to relieve pain and swelling
- Take a prescribed pain killer, like Advil or Tylenol, to minimize pain
- Don’t smoke
- Gently rinse your mouth with a mixture of warm water and salt to ease pain
- Use a gauze pad and change it regularly to protect the treated area and keep it clean
- Eat soft foods until your mouth is fully healed
- Be careful when brushing or flossing
Contact Smiles By The Sea in Belmar at 732-681-2225 to learn more about tooth extractions and surgery. Our friendly skilled dental team is more than happy to help you with your dental needs.